Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Keep your spending down, watch your fulfillment rise

After putting the first coat of paint on a pair of sturdy sawhorses yesterday I tidied up the workshop, returned to my study, changed back into street clothes and heard two emails arrive.

My computer said, “You’ve got mail, Gorgeous.”

I winked back.

One email, from a friend, asked if I'd help edit his most recent short story.

[Sure, I thought. But I don't come cheap.]

The second was from a reader of my weekly column and proves small pleasures come with big rewards.

She wrote:

Gord:  I have been hanging on to one of your articles titled ‘In travel (and life) the less you spend the more you enjoy’.

[Link to ‘A Sense of Place’ to see origin of my lovely title]

This weekend I volunteered for the annual London  Library book sale (and)... purchased 2 bags of books, totaling 24 books in all, for a total amount  of $6.
 
I will now have hours of reading, taking me to someplace else other than London, as well.
 
Yes, it is true, "The less you spend the more you enjoy".
 
PS: I can go to Bruce Beach now as well and take one book, and maybe get by on $6 worth of gas.

Signed M. A.


Nothing better than the Port Bruce beach and a book is there?

[I guess I do come cheap - but it's worth it!]

Get out your snowsuit!

Have you found a big pleasure for a small price lately?

.

2 comments:

Nestor Family said...

I don't think books are ever a bad investment... but as to the "big pleasure for small price" I have to mention that I have put off getting my hair done lately to save money... and I am finding that I like it longer! (And more naturally colored! Hee hee!)

G. Harrison said...

heidi, next you'll be cutting or styling your own hair. maybe even liking it better than before.

didn't women used to get together and do each other's hair in years gone by? i seem to remember four ladies, including my mother, sitting around our kitchen table with scissors, curlers, pieces of foil, a bottle of goop, perhaps a bottle of wine.

i don't know if they did it to save money but they sure had a lot of fun.