Thursday, October 15, 2009

Someone in Austria is laughing at me right now Pt 2

I have to reduce my coffee intake.

So I'm drinking Elder Flowers tea again this morning.

http://itstrikesmefunny.blogspot.com/2009/10/someone-in-austria-is-laughing-at-me.html

And I can’t get the song ‘Doh’s a deer, a female deer’ out of my little round head.

Yes, someone in Austria is laughing right about now.

Small price to pay, however, for the extra energy I feel. Scored two goals yesterday during a 50-plus hockey game... with the taste of compost in my mouth. Small price.


As well, today I want to introduce the four ladies in the attached photo.

Left to right: Aunt Murt (deceased), Aunt Jessie (deceased), unknown, Aunt Gert (deceased).

My three aunts were my father’s older sisters and though they each made it up a few steps from the poor digs they grew up in, they never made it to the fashion or big homes and gardens pages of the newspaper.

I found a note from Aunt Murt in a Christmas card to my dad while tidying his earthly possessions after he died and it sounded like her last years were spent in anguish of some sorts. She lived with one of her sons and his wife but it wasn’t going well, according to her words.

Aunt Gert, who seems to be whooping it up in the photo, had the hardest life, so I’m told. An abusive husband.

Aunt Jessie did better. Husband Wilf was a gentle man and they shared a lovely small house in Ingersoll that today is still dwarfed by a weeping willow in the backyard.

During one of my last car rides with my dad we sat in front of Jessie’s house and recalled a few memories. She always kept herself as neat as a pin. Her livingroom was the same. That’s why she made the kids play outside. We played hide and seek under the willow tree. Very small house. Lovely kitchen at the back.

If I can find my way alone, I’ll park out front one day in the future too.

.

No comments: