Monday, October 5, 2009

Wind turbines on Bruce Peninsula spark lengthy discussion

“So, are you for them or against them?” I was asked on Saturday morning.

I knew I was entering a realm of discussion where angels fear to tread but, because I’m no angel (as of yet; however, possibilities still exist), I said, “They can be a good way to go.”

I was told otherwise, as follows:

“They cost too much and the power produced is too darn (I’m being polite; part of the angel thingy) expensive.”

“They’re a frickin’ (still being very polite) eyesore.”

“They cause health problems.”



[Photo by GAH]

By stick handling as cleverly as possible I shot a few pucks of my own into the net:

“Do a few dozen cost more than a nuclear plant? Are you paying for them any differently than for nuclear plants or coal-fired energy plants?” (The fellows who live on the Bruce didn’t know).

"Does nuclear pay for itself faster than two dozen turbines?” (They didn’t know).

“How expensive is coal-fired energy once you include health care expenses related to growing respiratory illnesses and related deaths?” (No answer).

“Does everybody here think they’re ugly?” (Not everybody did).


“Do they cause more health problems than emissions from coal?” (They had no idea).

Conclusion: Some people get all fired up about turbines but don’t have all the facts. Who does?

Perhaps governments should educate the public far better than they are doing. Sure, we need alternative sources of energy but not shoved down peoples’ throats.

I wisely decided to leave information re the number of coal-fired energy plants being built in China (to produce cheap goods many North Americans are addicted to) for another day.

Wise move.

***

You can tell me anything you want about turbines and I’ll listen.

.

2 comments:

Lost Motorcyclist said...

There seems to be a growing movement against wind turbines, but then there is always going to opposition to anything new. Asking questions seemed to work very well, especially with people who think they have all the answers. Giving facts often makes things worse.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Robert,

After the weekend debate I conclude two things:

- those opposed to turbines should be even more opposed to most methods of hydro production

- conservation of energy and a smaller lifestyle could reap large benefits and quiet most debates re energy production

GAH