Wednesday, March 24, 2010

In The Workshop: Birdhouse-building season is here - what’s new?

I knew it was coming.

Birds have been at the feeder for months. Several chickadees recently checked out the birdhouses in the back yard. Piles of rescued lumber began calling my name.

So, I stained my last four-plex with linseed oil - to make room - and started to think, what should I build next?


["Once this dries it goes on a pole": photos GAH]

I studied several piles of old lumber and waited for inspiration. Waited. Waited. Opened a birdhouse book. Turned pages. Looked at a bag of cedar rescued from an old fence.


["Hmmm... a bag of cedar scrap. What can I build?"]

Got it. Small, light, sturdy houses for warblers.

There’s a first time for everything. I’ll let you know how it goes.

.

No comments: