Monday, March 8, 2010

Motorcycle Miles: How should I handle Montreal while travelling east?

Spring is in the air, the idea of motorcycling is entering my head and I just finished studying routes from London to Halifax.

(I have a promise to fulfill in Halifax and this is the year to check it off my list).

Like the experienced traveller that I am (insert laugh track here), I’ve looked at different routes to Halifax, but each one has a big scary part that involves Montreal on my way to the hostel in Quebec City.


["I encountered more rocks than people on my way to Thunder Bay, 2007. But Montreal is different, and intimidating.": photo GAH, Hattie's Cove]

I just can’t ignore Montreal. So, what to do?

Should I blast right through the centre of the city on Highway 40, without even stopping for so much as a cup of coffee or the opportunity to make people laugh about my Grade 9 French language skills?

Should I add miles and hours to my trip east by venturing north at some point before reaching Montreal and connect with Highway 158, then travel more safely and slowly toward the 40/158 junction well east of the city?

Should I cross over to the south side of the St. Lawrence River, e.g., at Cour de Lac on Highway 201, and zigzag my way east, then north on one of the tamer highways, e.g., the 133 to Sorel?

Or, are there other tried and true ways to get through or around Montreal for someone not eager to practice rudimentary French skills at a wee cafe on a Montreal side street?

Just asking.

***

More details about the trip later.

I’m busy saving up $1,300 dollars to add to what I already have stashed in the bank.

.

8 comments:

Lost Motorcyclist said...

I have tried several different ways, of course they keep changing every year. If you should opt for the Oka ferry route, be aware that the ramp onto the boat consists of two heavy planks set up for the width of two car tires. (This was 2001 actually, so who knows the ferry might have changed).

I don't much care for Montreal, and my preference is to go on 40 almost every time, continuing on to Quebec City on the North side of the St Lawrence. There is no really nice way through it. 40 in Montreal is a kind of scary road with aggressive drivers, and some off ramps on the left that you don't want, and you need to watch out for. Not like the 401 with express lanes in Toronto.

Once I tried the route through Beauharnois, and it was slow, and a bit complicated, but not so scary

Matt said...

Take the 40...it does suck. Get off and St. Denis. Take it down to AV. Laurier. Stop at 29 avenue Laurier Ouest, This is the Dieu Du Ceil brewpub. One of the best you will ever go to.


http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=London+ontario&daddr=29+avenue+Laurier+Ouest,+Montreal,+QC+H2T+2N2&hl=en&geocode=FXPcjwIdqyko-ykLm42oDvIuiDGVawWaadfHKA%3BFVqftgIdGg-d-w&gl=ca&mra=ls&sll=45.543915,-73.634995&sspn=0.00547,0.009441&ie=UTF8&ll=45.533349,-73.614578&spn=0.04377,0.075531&z=14

G. Harrison said...

Hi LM,

The Oka ferry sounds interesting! Ha! I know of ferries farther west, and one was much the same. I'm looking for a decent bridge.

I'll look at your Beauharnois route.

Thanks for your input.

GH

G. Harrison said...

Hi Matt,

Are you thinking that after i stop for a lovely pint I won't mind the 40 as much? It could work!

Cheers,

GH

Lost Motorcyclist said...

Highway 40 through Montreal, also known as Boulevard Metropolitain, is the best argument I know for soberness while riding. The 401 through Toronto, drunk? Maybe.

G. Harrison said...

LM is right. I don't touch the stuff while riding.

GH

Matt said...

Stay over in Montreal then. You will not regret it. It is rated #1 by ratebeer.com for Canadian beers!

G. Harrison said...

Hi Matt,

I've been thinking about that; I'll look for an easier way in and out than the 40. Good idea.

GH