Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Link and Learn: Plant seeds while snow cover is on the ground?

Even though some burly Canadians want winter to last until April (lazy toots - one I know just doesn’t want to cut the grass), there are those who want to get their hands dirty in pots of soil or in the garden.

My oldest sister is one of them and is likely reading a seed catalogue right now.

For her, and others with green thumbs looking for winter to end, I recommend an interesting article found in the London Free press recently entitled ‘Sowing The Seeds Of Change.’


In it I read the following:

"There's an exciting new movement sweeping the globe that focuses on local sustainability in response to peak oil and climate change."

"One goal of this movement is to grow and buy more food locally. This simple, logical concept aims to improve food quality, reduce exposure to pesticides and genetically modified crops, and save resources."


I bet some people are thinking about their garden right now.

"Instead of buying foods grown far away, heavily packaged and shipped long distances, growing your own food or buying from local producers helps you control how it's grown and treated and eliminates the need for packaging. You can harvest fruits and vegetables at their absolute peak for freshness and outstanding flavour."

Heck, now I’m even thinking about my garden, and I don’t have a green thumb.

Maybe I’ll start a few cherry tomato plants inside this year. The article tells me how to go about it.

***

Are you waiting for seeds to arrive?

Do you make an early start on gardening each year?

.

No comments: