Friday, June 4, 2010

Halifax Bound: Four more sleeps

I know it’s late; 10:10 p.m. And to top it off, to get a bit of a caffeine jolt I’m drinking leftover coffee from this morning.

It will have to do.

With only four more sleeps to go before I start my journey to Halifax (click here to see the itinerary) I had a lot of running around to do today. A repaired saddlebag had to be picked up. The plaque for the back deck of the wee boat was ready. And I needed to test drive the boat to see if it would cross the Atlantic on the surface of the ocean or deep underwater in the belly of a whale.


The plaque looked good but the wood was not walnut, as I had ordered. It was MDF board and was crap. It wouldn’t last a week in the salt water, spar varnish or not.


["The plaque looks at home on barn board": photos GH]

So I tore it apart when I got home and bolted the metal to a piece of barn board, something my dad would fully appreciate. (I would be surprised if he ever laid eyes on MDF). From every angle it looks 100 times better, and will last years longer, than MDF-crap.


But, before doing that particular 'tearing apart' task, I tucked the boat under my arm, walked to a neighbour’s house and tossed the boat into their pool.

Details to follow after I make a real cup of coffee.

***

Do you think it will float or sink?

.

No comments: