Saturday, June 19, 2010

Halifax: On the way there and back Pt 8

Day 12

I arrived safely in Ottawa yesterday at about 4:30 in the p.m.

While eating a burger in the hostel's courtyard (a former exercise yard for inmates, now a place to grab a cheap meal) at 7 p.m. I started writing notes re Day 11, thoughts from along the way between Trois Rivieres to our nation's capital.

I began as follows:

"Day light shone thru my bedroom window (in Trois Riv.) quite early this a.m.. 5:30-ish, maybe earlier."

That's it.

Then Fritz (real name) asked me if I wanted to go for a cruise around Ottawa (real city of beauty) in his rented car (real convertible).

I put my pen down.

"I'll can be ready in five minutes," I said.

Fritz said, "Bring your maps."

We covered a lot of ground in 90 minutes, even waved to the two officers guarding Rideau Hall. No arrests were made.

We arrived back at THE JAIL hostel just as a group was forming to go to a Chinese restaurant for a night of karaoke.

I thought - inmates on the prowl, Chinese food, murdering what were once perfectly decent songs.

And, what could be more Canadian than that on a humid Friday night?

I signed on immediately.

We killed several songs, especially one by The Beach Boys.

So, you can see why my notes re yesterday's journey are a bit short on details.

However, I'll take copious notes today and be sure to file a full report after dinner.

Unless Fritz is on the loose and the karaoke gang is ready for another funny (So funny! 'Joyous catterwalling' springs to mind, loudly) night on the town.

.

2 comments:

Lannie Good said...

Hi Gord: Really enjoying the blogs about your trip..esp. the way you tossed the boat into the water and how it was found and will go 40 miles out now by a seaman..I have a neat story to tell you about dad by a teacher I never had but met at the NDHS reunion...glad to know you are safe and sound..didn't need to worry like I did..sounds like fun adventures..love L.Dee & JImmy

gord said...

hi lannie,

i'm not home yet but i'm mainly on back roads for the next two days.

i look forward to your story about dad. hope you had a blast at the last reunion. though i wouldn't be surprised if something else drew us to norwich in the future.

i'll be in fenelon falls tomorrow, maybe by 4 p.m., so i'll be 'close by.'

cheers,

gord