Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Halifax Bound: Off we go into the wild blue yonder

Halifax Bound: Off we go into the wild blue yonder

And now I’m excited.

I just have to squeeze a few last-minute items into any available nooks and crannies in the saddlebags, then fire up the engine on my bike.

It’s funny what made the last-minute list.

Advil. Sun block. For my sinuses and big nose, respectively.

Juice for my first break. TUMS, in case my breakfast of peanut butter and bananas on toast and tonight’s dinner of pub food and a large pint of Dragon’s Breath ale doesn’t sit well. I’m sure they will but - just in case.


["I'll squeeze this stuff on board and away I go": photo GH]

My wee flashlight for finding my way around a strange dorm room at 2:45 a.m. (I’ll explain later. Something about a hair-trigger).

Sunglasses, gloves, Q-tips, razor. Essentials.

As well, a pile of small packets of jam and peanut butter that I’ve been saving up for the last few months by scrimping on my breakfast order at The Red Roaster. (Don’t tell Adam. He’ll cut me off).

Last but not least. I’ll hand over some money to my lovely wife to cover my debit transactions along the way and back. Money that I’ve collected from birdhouse sales, saved from my freelance fees or found on the street ($7.16, last count; includes beer bottle deposits).

Handing over the money will make her day. Before I’m at the end of the block she’ll be thinking ‘PARTY!’

Not a bad idea, dear. I’m a light spender (which is the most polite way I can think of to say ‘as tight as a tinker’s toot.’)

See you in the funny papers!

GH

.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Have a fabulous trip!

Gord H. said...

Hi Liz,

I am now in Kingston. In Ontario, not Jamaica. Though Jamaica would be nice too.

gh

Jane said...

Um, Kingston Jamaica is not a top destination spot these days Gordie what with the state of emergency and the military looking for "Coke", a drug lord the PM is trying to catch and turn over to the U.S. so stick with Canada, at least for now. :)

gh said...

hi jane

canada it is then; i`m in Riviere du loup right now and must say - highway 132, along southern shore of st. Lawrence R. is an excellent route.

see you soon.

g