Saturday, June 19, 2010

Halifax: On the way there and back Pt 9

Day 12

This blog is going to be a lot like the hit tv show 24.

It's happening in real time as I wait for the waether to clear in Ottawa.

After an exciting and nutritious breakfast (How many calories in a small handful of cranberries, instant oatmeal and one shredded wheat? Not many, I bet. But, oh, so good for you!) I walked from The Jail hostel to the Parliament Buildings.

The hike included several stops and detours.

My gosh, Ottawa is a beautiful city. If you've never been, book a private cell today. (I'm in number 5. Pop by.)

The Rideau R. and nearby canal are magnificent.

There are bike paths as wide as a lane of traffic.

Old, magnificent buildings, each stone in their framework weighing a tonne, loom before predestrians and appear as common as tall cedars in an untrampled forest.

A wee pub I found, called Alfies, is a charmer.

The Parliament buildings are stunning.

The view of the Ottawa R. from a corner near the Lester B. Pearson statue is brilliant.

Magificent. Stunning. Wee pub. Brilliant.

Notice how the superlatives are rolling off my tongue.

No doubt, some are wishing I knew how to post some of my 4,000 photos so they could enjoy the scenery as well.

That time will come. I should be home by Tuesday evening and sitting at the computer in my study, Red Roaster dark roast in hand, by 11 a.m. Wednesday.

You've been warned.

Now, I'm pretty sure the rain has stopped.

I'm off to the War Museum.

.

No comments: