Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Ollie and Me: Whenever he visits, he comes right to my side

On June 8th I left for Halifax from my back laneway.

Grandson Ollie witnessed my departure and gave me a hug before I put on my leather jacket and biked toward Stratford and beyond.


["Two minutes later I put on my leather jacket, warmed up the bike": photo The Mrs.]

Now, every time he comes to stay with my wife and I (four days per week), he runs straight to my study once inside the front door.

I hear him calling for me and stop what I’m doing.

“Papa, are you here?” he’ll ask.

“I’m back here, Ollie?”

“In the kitchen?”

“In my study.”

And in he walks.

This morning he chattered about blueberries and raspberries as soon as he entered the room and was soon on my lap.

I think he missed me.

***

My wife, on the other hand, has bought me a packet of maps of the prairies and B.C. coast.

.

No comments: