Monday, June 14, 2010

Halifax: On the way there and back Pt 5

Day 7

After supper, and before I made my merry way to Maxwell's Plum English Pub (yup, it's a peach of a place), I received a message from my wife.

She'd been contacted by a man from down the way a bit from Pennant Pt., the place from which I'd given my dad's wee boatan unceremonious heave.

"He found your boat," she said, and that I should call him.

She gave me the number for Randy H.

I called as soon as I could.

Randy and I only spoke for a minute or two, but here is the jist.

Dad's wee boat stayed out on the water for 24 hours, then was heaved ashore, and Rany found it while walking his dog.

"It was on the rocks," he said.

I asked if the steel bolts were still attached to the bottom. His reply was affirmative.

Then Randy, bless his heart, shared his plan for the boat with me.

"My brother goes fishing out 40 miles, so I'll pass the boat along to him so he can take it out. It will catch a current out there," he said.

Okay. Do you hear that trip hammer noise?

That's my heart. 40 miles. A good current. Dad's boat could get to Scotland after all, a place he loved and (according to my oldest sister Lannie) a place he wanted to retire to when the time came.

Maybe the time has come.

I tip my hat to Randy. And I'm as happy as a plum.

.

4 comments:

Doug and Judy said...

I just knew something like that would happen. I said to Judy the other day that, if I know Cousin Gord, he will talk to someone who will take him out on the Atlantic so he can launch the S.S. Walnut. Didn't quite happen that way but close.

Good for you Gord, in your fulfilling your promise to Uncle Doug.
In case you didn't know, your Dad paid my Dad, (his older brother) $5.00 if they named me after him.
I guess that's one of the reasons why he was my favorite uncle.

God speed on your way back home.

Cousin Doug

G. Harrison said...

hi doug,

i had not heard the $5 story!

My gosh, that was a lot of money 39 years ago.

I looked for any one in a small port who was preparing a boat for ride out, but because it was a Sunday, I saw no one out and about.

Pat said that 'it was meant to be' that someone found it and could take it out farther. I agree with my wife - this time.

only 4 more riding days to go.

cheers,

gord

Doug and Judy said...

Even more money 71 years ago.

GH said...

hi doug,

71! your name is now worth over a million bucks!

thankfully, I'm having a great trip, but look forward to getting home.

gord