Saturday, June 26, 2010

The SS Silver Walnut is on its way to Georges Bank

For those interested in the progress of the Silver Walnut - and I know I am - I have a bit of news.

24 hours after I tossed the Walnut into the Atlantic (June 13) it was found on the rocks by Randy Henneberry from the Halifax area.


["The Walnut in the workshop": photos GH]

(More details will be in my next column. However, the column will appear one week late because I missed yesterday’s earlier deadline. I was watching Ollie graduate from pre-school when I should have been typing. Me bad).

I talked to Randy while I was in Halifax and his plan at the time was to give it to his brother who fishes out 40 miles from the coast.


["The Walnut - modified to fit into my luggage -beside the Atlantic"]

“It will get a good current there,” he said.

Yesterday, I called again from London and he’d come up with a better idea, i.e., to give the Walnut to his cousin who fishes out on Georges Bank.

The fishing bank is over 60 miles out and will surely be nearer or affected by the Gulf Stream.

I think the odds of the Walnut reaching Scotland just went up. And hopefully it lands on a sandy beach and not on the rocks.

.

No comments: