Saturday, November 24, 2012

Rare Family Photos: Santa once made daytime house calls

Today I attended the Santa Claus parade in Fenelon Falls with all four of my grandchildren. Due to the cold a few of us dropped back to my car early and missed the candy toss.

I was reminded of such parades when I was a child. Santa and his red sleigh were a grand attraction and no one left early because he handed out a big bag of candy to every child. Now that was worth the wait in any type of weather.


I was also reminded of the attached photo taken in the mid-1950s. My great-grandmother Lydia Jane Gordon received a house call from Santa and the event made the local news. An article in the Norwich Gazette reported she was 106 at the time. I was 5 or 6 at the time, too young to recall if the matriarch of the family after which I'm named shared any of the goodies with me. If she and I are anything alike, I'd say there was only a slim chance.

If you know of another time when Santa made a daytime house call, let me know.

Photo of old photo by GH 

***

Please click here for more Rare Family Photos

No comments: