Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Firefighter Scorch and Burn Chili: Faint of heart? Back away slowly Part 2

In one of yesterday’s brilliant posts I mentioned I served chili hot enough to scorch a forehead after Friday night’s poker game.

Try this recipe, and get back to me if you survive:

While cooking up 1.5 pounds of ground beef and 1.5 lb. of ground pork, place the following ingredients into a deep pot or slow cooker:

(I prefer to use a slow cooker in my workshop so that it smells like my favourite old diner).


1 diced green pepper, 2 sliced jalapeno peppers, 3 dried and crushed hot chili peppers, 2 diced red onions, 1 can corn niblets, 1 can bean medley, 2 cans of red kidney beans, 1 can mushrooms pieces, 1 can diced tomatoes (drain all cans), 1 large can spaghetti sauce, 1 cup chicken or beef broth, 1 heaping tablespoon cumin, 2 heaping tablespoons chili powder, Tabasco sauce to taste.

Add cooked meat (and more broth to get consistency you like as it cooks).

Stir. Wait a few hours. Serve with fresh rolls. Be ready for a high five.

***

Why does chili taste better on the second, third, fourth and fifth day?

.

6 comments:

twinkelydots said...

I had a friend who's Dad was a champion chili maker. His secret was to add a can of cheap beer to the mix. It helped to bring out the flavors.

In the past I've done the same & the chili ends up with one more level of flavor.

I'm not a beer drinker. Never liked the taste & now with my grain allergies it's outta my life.

I'd add a little sugar, can of beer & some vinegar to your recipe.

You've got the heat covered but people still like to taste food.

Trust me on this one.

Jessica said...

Hmm, sounds like the next stage would be for you to try a Birmingham curry.

G. Harrison said...

hi twinkely dots,

good ideas all.

i have the cheap beer, and maybe i could use maple syrup instead of sugar - True Canadian style chili.

GAH

G. Harrison said...

Jessica,

I'm not accustomed to many curry dishes.

I did like the curried lamb dish at the Poachers Arms downtown, but I think their kitchen is closed now.

What's in Birmingham curry? I'll google, and compare with any ideas you give me.

Cheers,

GAH

Jessica said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balti_(food)

Enjoy ;)

G. Harrison said...

Jessica,

Brilliant; one pot meals are my specialty.

Cheers,

GAH