Thursday, March 26, 2009

Live Small and Prosper: Bits and pieces about solar and cob ovens Part 2

I’m pretty sure I can build a solar oven using materials from around the house, i.e., two old windows, leftover cedar siding and a bulky wool sweater (for insulation).

Will it get hot enough to heat up my leftovers? I’ll have a test run in about two weeks.

In the meantime, I’ll consider what another reader has said.

“On building your solar oven: The base of ours is painted matt black inside & out. The door is plexy glass with a rubber gasket going around the opening of the door.

There's a tray that hangs on a hinge where we put the food. I have 2 covered casseroles dishes that I use. One is metal the other is pottery. Both work great.

There's also an adjustable stick thingee coming out of the back to adjust the angle for full sun coverage."

"We've used a solar oven for years. Bought it at a solar festival and now we sell them in our store. I've had pies, a turkey, bread and many casseroles from solar ovens. 

Living in the high desert where we get an average of 300 sunny days a years helps.

"Treat it like a crock pot. The food will cook slowly. You have to remember to turn it every so often. 

A friend does frozen pot pies in his. 

Mine is a Global Sun Oven."


[Global Oven at work: photo and company link]

Signed, twinkelydots

Interesting ideas and information, for sure. Thank you.

Though I’m a long way from the desert I’ll add a small pie to my menu.

***

Part 3 relates to cob ovens. Stay tuned.

.

No comments: