Friday, March 27, 2009

Live Small and Prosper: Bits and pieces about solar and cob ovens Part 3

Finally, something about cob ovens.

I’ve had solar ovens on the brain for a few days (hard to tell, right?) and after one related post the following email arrived:

“Hi-Ya Gord! Been a long time, I know...too long. I've been enjoying your thoughts on solar ovens. I've always wanted a cob oven myself.”

“Oh and, I loved your cartoon of the Fat Economy...so true!”


Signed, Myshell

[Yes, I post the odd cartoon... ‘odd’ being the operative word].

At first, I thought a cob oven was an oven in which you cooked corn or burned dry cobs as fuel. (A friend of mine heats his cottage with a corn stove).

Myshell was referring to something entirely different, i.e., an earthen oven made from cob (a mixture of sand, clay and straw), in which a person can bake pizza, bread, cookies, and much more.

After viewing many photos and reading about the building process I can safely say they are a ton of work (or more) to build, require a healthy wood supply to operate, but last a long, long time.


View a team building effort here.

View several other informative links here.

View Myshell’s first connection with cob ovens here.

***

I think cob ovens do serve a very useful purpose. The wood supply, however would be a challenge to maintain for many urbanites.

Thoughts? Opinions?

.

No comments: