Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Zoom w a View: Birdhouses stand between me and my solar oven

I’m anxious to build my first solar oven and cut my bulky wool sweater into small pieces for insulation.

For extra insulation I’ll likely take a trip to Value Village to buy one or two other wool sweaters.

But, I’m ahead of myself.

First I need to make room in my workshop because several unfinished birdhouses stand in the way of my next project.


Two need to be nailed together and several need a coat of stain or linseed oil.


So, birds get served first, so they have a nice home for the summer.


Then I can build a solar oven to help me heat up leftovers.


Maybe I’ll even get all fancy-shmancy and cook up a bit of Harrison Hash.


***

Do you have a gumbo recipe suitable for slow cooker or solar oven? The birdhouses are done and I’m really hungry!

.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

how about a nice bird ;) I reckon a bushel of sparrows would make good eatin'! Squirrels too are the latest trendy dish in England.

G. Harrison said...

sparrow gumbo, 'tis a thought. also, I've heard squirrel tastes a bit like rabbit.

maybe I'll start with something a wee bit easier to catch.

cheers, jessica,

GAH

Unknown said...

Hey, pidgeon is really good. They have a special way of doing it in Cairo...

G. Harrison said...

Hi Gaston Studio,

Thank you for the visit. My son would be happy if I tried pigeon; when in the big city a few had a special fondness for sitting over his car.

Gord's Pigeon Gumbo... has a nice ring to it.

Cheers,

GAH

twinkelydots said...

On building your solar oven: The base of ours is painted matt black inside & out. The door is plexy glass with a rubber gasket going around the opening of for the door.

There's a tray that hangs on a hinge where we put the food.

I have 2 covered casseroles dishes that I use. One is metal the other is pottery. Both work great.

There's also an adjustable stick thingee coming out of the back to adjust the angle for full sun coverage.

G. Harrison said...

Twinkelydots, thank you for all your help, from choice of paint and rubber gaskets to dishes. I fiddled today with my supplies and diagrams and think I'll have a sturdy model.

What can you do to help me get 300 days of sunshine? While i raked my garden today I hit a patch of ice under the surface. Youch.

Cheers,

GAH