Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Young at Heart: Paint job done; now comes the hard part

Plaster stippled ceilings done; kitchen cabinets done; just a few more cupboard doors to attach.

Then the hard part - deciding how much to charge Mr. and Mrs. K.

My first job, delivering the London Free Press to 44 customers, paid $4.40 per week, or less than $1 per hour. My second, grocery clerk and stock boy, started at 50 cents per hour and went up to 55 at the end of the first year.


[So pretty! Plaster stippled ceiling - arrgh!: courtesy photo link]

I only broke the dollar per hour barrier by picking asparagus, tomatoes and tobacco during the summer. Hard work but good money for a teen back in the 1960s.

Now, almost 45 years later, the thought of asking 20 bucks per hour (the price suggested as “still a bit low” by several of my hockey buds and someone in the construction/renovation business) makes me shake my head.

I mean, if I had to pay someone that much to paint my ceiling I’d say, “No way. Get off my land. I’ll just do it myself!”

But, after about two hours, I’d hate doing it. I’d actually curse.

So, $20 it is then.

***

Maybe that’s not too high for someone as careful, considerate and good looking as me. What do you think?

.

No comments: