Thursday, April 30, 2009

I found a treasure in my closet

If I followed an organizational system in my tiny closet I might have found 'backpack canoe' sooner.

It's a wee 15-year old booklet of prose about a canoe trip in Algonquin Park, Canada. (So, alphabetically, I had the A, B and Cs covered).

As it happened, however, I was hunting for a clean shirt (my workshop has been eating t-shirts for lunch lately) and remembered I'd stuffed three shirts on top of some old books on a back shelf.

Bingo. A clean shirt and a book popped out in the same handful.

Want to step back in time with me, when my mind was not as cluttered and I had the strength to carry a canoe on my head?

Click here - for more exciting prose and brilliant song lyrics I have hidden away - not in my closet, not alphabetical.

Lion’s Head Part 1

three tired hikers
could barely huddle
‘neath the rocky point
facing the granite shores
the rounded boulder beaches
of Georgian Bay.

the grey green crag
an ancient prominence
like crumbling brick
gave bare hard shelter
from quick icy pellets
hurled from a sullen
Georgian sky.

only minutes before
hot sore sweating backs
were gratefully relieved
by full packs set aside
by carefree dives
into calm cold waters.


a black water snake
a slithering ‘s,’ head erect,
had chased us - we gingerly
stepping over smoothed stones -
to higher ground.

a lightning crack
and strong sudden gusts
pushed us inland.

[to be continued at Hit Songs, Prose and Lyrics by G. Harrison]

GAH

***

You must get to Lion's Head. The trail is minutes away. Unforgettable.

.

No comments: