Friday, April 3, 2009

The London Food Bank Challenge: Breakfast was OK, but lunch?

I’m one of a dozen people who recently agreed to live on the groceries a typical food bank client receives.


Not a bad idea. With the number of food bank clients rising quickly in London (approx. 2,500 per month in 2008; 3,000 per month in 2009) the challenge is a direct, hands-on way to learn more about the 24-year-old nonprofit organization and thousands it serves as best it can.

How long will the food last? What will be my challenges, concerns and complaints?


It’s early days, but so far I can honestly say that yesterday’s breakfast was just fine (Kellogg’s Muxlix, tea and a snack bar) but lunch wasn’t.

I ate the following at noon yesterday:

More tea - but I miss my coffee.

Whole wheat roll (one of six I was given) - with butter, it was fine. Nothing to write home about so I won’t.

Chef Boyardee Beefaroni - Not much taste, too much salt, I wouldn’t even take it camping.

Did I say I miss my coffee?

I’m predicting the bulk of the food won’t last longer than 3 - 4 days and my wife and I will have to cheat a bit to keep meals fairly healthy. Should be interesting.

***

Are food banks under stress or doing well in your city?

.

No comments: