Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Simple Life: Rustic birdhouses may be the next new wave

As soon as I woke up this morning I thought, I should make a few birdhouses with hand tools, skip the power tools.

I’m not kidding. Even before I thought about making coffee and what I was going to have for breakfast I was thinking hand tools - so that the birdhouses would look more rustic.


["From scrap lumber; pre-finish": photo GAH]

Building by hand would conserve hydro too, I thought. We’d burn less coal. And I hate coal. I fluffed my pillow. Though I should get used to it. Our society has no Plan B. When oil becomes more expensive we’ll just burn more coal. We have few alternatives ready once Plan A runs its course i.e. burn cheap oil without a care in the world. What about sausages for breakfast? No, I gave up sausages long ago. That’s why I make my own porridge. And am thinking about trapping rabbits and squirrels for Brunswick Stew.


["With linseed oil plus touch of maple finish": GAH]

I rolled over in bed and thought, I should tell Pat about my plan to use hand tools and trap squirrels.

[Stay tuned for It Strikes Me Funny: Men are from Mars and women don’t listen].

***

I think making birdhouses by hand will take 3 - 4 times as long and time is money isn’t it?

.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If rustic birdhouses are the new wave, can they be painted and have things added to them like little picket fences, etc. or must they remain eau natural? If they must, I'm in trouble!

G. Harrison said...

Hi Jane,

My first 80 - 100 houses were standard fare; I'm just starting to add a bit more detail - and I like the results.

Will the birds? I think that's the test.

Chers,

Gord