Friday, April 24, 2009

Real Time: The TV show 24 isn’t as exciting as this Part 3

Sure, Jack Bauer might save thousands of lives every hour but his fast-paced, whirlwind of a life looks pretty darn tame next to mine.

On Wednesday morning I pulled into Don’s driveway at 9 a.m. sharp, and within seconds, without any small talk (believe me, we’re both very good at small talk, we could talk your ear off with small talk, but we were on a mission), we hopped expertly into his old red pickup and drove toward the outskirts of town.

Destination - Dorchester landfill site

(Sorry, not just anyone can go there).

Mission - scrounge for century old barn board.

(Sorry, there isn’t much left. I got there first. I digress).

My apparel - what appeared to be century old jeans, sweatshirt and gloves.

(Sorry, I don’t usually tell you about what I’m wearing but I love those old pants. They’re the pair I wear in the workshop and wipe my hands on sixty times per day, whether painting, staining or sanding. The pants are a work of art. When they’re too old to wear I won’t throw them out. I’ll frame them and send them to the Smithsonian to be part of their ‘Fine Pants of the Common Man’ exhibit).

And about 40 minutes later Don’s truck was filled to the gunnels with some of the finest spruce and pine boards I’ve seen since ripping 70-year old pine from my front porch reno. [see ‘favourite’ photo of reno duplex at right]


My eyes had a field day.

Knot holes, deep ridges and straight raised edges where ancient trim had prevented the wood from shrinking from sunlight.

More exciting still is what I can’t see and smell right now - the colour and aroma of the wood that lies under the surface.

(Jack Bauer, move over).

Yesterday I spent two hours pulling square head nails and tacks from the boards and dreaming about what I’ll make with the lumber.

***

I’ll make a few cuts on Monday, then put some ideas on paper.

.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooooooh, I can smell the aromatic old wood right now!
Good weekend.

twinkelydots said...

Good thing you cleaned up your studio! Now you have room for all this wonderful wood. WTG