Wednesday, April 8, 2009

It Strikes Me Funny: “Put me through to the Prime Minister, please”

Do you ever get the desire to call the PM to ask a few simple questions?

It happens to me all the time.

For example, I read the following recently:


“Canada is suffering through one of the worst recessions in decades, one that will see more than half a million people thrown out of work...” [full article: The London Free Press]

I wanted to get right on the phone.

GH: “Hi, Mr. Prime Minister? My name is Gord and I just wanted to know why you and Finance Minister Jim Flatulence keep insisting we’re only going through a short recession, as if our troubles will be over some time next week, or at least the week after that?”

Then I’d tell him that the term ‘worst recession’ falls short.

GH: “And while you’re still on the line I think we need a new name for this current situation. ‘Biggest Blunder in Human History’ sounds right. ‘Gigantic Goof Up’ is pretty accurate and even ‘Deep Delusional Depression’ hits the mark. Hello? Hello?”

Line is busy. I’ll call back later.

***

Really, at this point, it’s not a short recession. What kind of mess are we in?

.

2 comments:

bobbie said...

Oh yes. I often wish I had a direct line to Mr. Obama. We do have computer access so we can send questions or comments to his office, and I've done that a few times. But it just isn't as satisfying, is it?

G. Harrison said...

Hi bobbie,

I heard about the access to Pres. Obama. I like the idea. It keeps the lines open, so to speak.

Cheers,

GAH