Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Give cyclists 20 per cent of Deforest City’s sidewalks

And paint them blue. No signage will be needed.

As I said recently, the stories and issues related to city cyclists are never-ending.

After 60 - 70 years of successfully accommodating more cars and trucks than necessary - at great expense - our City Fathers and Mothers could easily and fairly accommodate cyclists without having to widen existing bike paths, allocate piles of money (literally, piles) to build new ones or kick cars off one of their lanes on some busy streets.

All that’s needed are buckets of light blue paint (I think robin egg blue would be lovely. Thanks for asking).

Paint 20 per cent of London’s sidewalks (east - west, north - south, a couple of the zigzaggy ones) robin egg blue and ask pedestrians to use the other side of the street to play it safe.

“What if I live in a house that faces a blue sidewalk and I wanna walk downtown?”

Walk to the other side of the road. Look both ways for cars and cyclists. Then walk, walk, walk, 'til your heart's content.

“What if I still can’t cycle to where I’m going on the blue sidewalks?”

Use the road on occasion. Stick to the right side of the lane. Wear a helmet.

“What if it robin egg blue doesn’t match my shutters?”

Talk to the Mayor. I’ll be outta town.

(Okay, that’s a lie. I’ll be in my workshop. But talk to the Mayor anyway.)

***

20 per cent is a good start. Only 4 pedestrians would have to make a bit of accommodation.

Thoughts?

.

No comments: