Sunday, September 13, 2009

Ollie and Me: The kid’s a natural-born contrarian

Ollie (and parents) popped over last night after playing with his new race car on the playground slide across the street.

Grandma Pat presented him with two new train cars for his Thomas layout (one equipped with a “rocket jet engine”, said Ollie) and when the grandson was distracted I said to her, “That’s the last new toy for 20 years! He's not even three, and already has more toys than my entire family when we were kids.”

When it was time to go my son said, “We’d better get home to bed, Ollie. It’s getting dark.”


“No bed. Not dark out,” he replied. “Just rainy.”

Gee whiz. The kid’s a contrarian, like me, but smarter.

Not only does he disagree with just about everything, he comes up with great excuses, some I’d never think to use.

It’s not dark enough to go to bed. It’s just rain clouds.

Good one, kid.

.

No comments: