Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Now I Know: How Melba’s toast was invented

The rye bread we had in the house this morning was a bit stale but I threw it into the toaster oven anyway and pressed ON.

It was taking forever to toast so I investigated through bleary eyes and found the toaster oven was set to OVEN. I popped it open.


["The hat is definitely a mistake": GAH circa 1972]

Though the stale rye had been ovenated it still looked pale, so I popped it back in and toasted it for added colour.

Two minutes later it looked more like toast and after adding pb - so it could stick more firmly to the roof of my mouth - I noticed it tasted more like Melba’s toast, a product that is making her a fortune.

***

Are there other products, made by mistake, that sit on store shelves today?

Leaf blowers qualify, right? I mean, you wouldn’t set out to actually make one, would you?

.

No comments: