Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Big Smile: The economy won’t do it. What will?

Friend Don and I met for coffee yesterday morning at one of the shops in Wortley Village. (I love my routine but that’s not what made me smile).

He brought two books to read in case I was late (I wasn’t. We arrived at exactly the same time): ‘Thrive’ (re the search for happiness) was one. ‘Moral Ground’ (essays re the environment) the other.

Though I ordered the latter from the library on the way home, it was some ‘thinking about’ the first book that made me smile.


["A good belt is hard to find. Happiness too": photos GH]

Most people want to be happy. Me too. Feels good.

However, I also really like the search for it, along with other things.

For example, already a few times this week I’ve said to someone that “the fun is in the search” or “the fun is in the looking.”

I was referring simply to my current search for a good leather belt. I need to keep my pants up. And I don’t want to spend a lot of money so I’m going to have to look long and hard, e.g., at Value Village or at a thrift store or in other second-hand stores.


["Someone is searching the skies over Wortley Village"]

But I look forward to the search. Searching satisfies some basic elements in my nature. E.g., I don’t want a gift. Nothing on a silver platter. I want to work at it. Be involved. And I don’t want the first belt I see just to cross it off some list so I can say, “Next.”

I know I’m pretty patient. I know something will turn up. I’ll know it when I see it.

Now, finding a new or (hopefully) good, used belt isn’t the root of happiness. I use the search for this one item merely as an example of the larger pursuit because the same things apply.

I don’t want it on a platter, silver or gold.


I want to search for it and be surprised when it pops up unexpectedly somewhere along the way.

I don’t mind that it’s fleeting and is hard to pin down.

The fun is in the search.

.

Is laughter a key ingredient to a long, happy life?

.

No comments: