Friday, November 12, 2010

Deforest City Blues: Joe Fontana needs ideas for jobs

Mayor - Elect Fontana likely saw the recent news report re local unemployment levels and dropped his coffee.

“London continues to be hammered by job losses and climbing unemployment, left behind by job gains in Ontario and the rest of Canada.” (Nov. 6, London Free Press)

Admittedly, Canada’s gains are slim, but at least going in the right direction.

Whereas, “the London area lost 2,000 jobs during a one-month period, and 8,000 since the beginning of the years...” So, according to Oct. stats, our unemployment rate is climbing.

Mr. Fontana campaigned on job growth, and if I recall correctly, and I’m pretty sure I do, he promised 10,000 jobs during his first term.

I want him to do well. I want people to have jobs and do well. But, and this is a big but, good ideas are needed.

Earlier I suggested the following ‘back to work measures’ in a brilliant post:

a job sharing/reduced work week scenario

put machines out of work, hire people back scenario

buy North American plan

Unfortunately, more ideas are needed.

How about higher corporate and personal taxation levels to foster growth in ‘the small economy’?

Because, we capable of building smaller homes, smaller home appliances (e.g., washers, dryers, ovens, fridges), smaller cars, trucks and buses are we not?

If we became the first city to develop ‘the small economy’ would we become a world leader, albeit small?

I think this could work.

***

We need a motto.

E.g., Get Small before you Get Low.

It works for me!

.

No comments: