Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My Morning Smile: I have squirrels stymied - for the moment

Recently my wife asked, “Is your bird feeder squirrel proof?”

I said, fairly confidently, “I think so.”

I thought, the beer cans and wooden circles attached to the clothesline should keep them from reaching the feeder and seed mix.

But from the deep recesses of my brain (way, way back there; stored with old income tax returns and confusing feelings toward Mrs. Doxtator, my Grade 9 math teacher) came this thought:

Two squirrels are sitting in a nearby tree right now with pencil and paper and mapping out a way to get to the feeder while your back is turned, Gordie. Stay focussed. Stay alert.

A moment ago I heard one of the clothesline poles fall.

“You know what that means,” said my wife.

I ran to the back window.


["Moments ago the squirrel was attempting a high wire act": photo GH]

One pole was down and a black squirrel was reaching from one clothesline to the other. It looked this way and that. It climbed down the other pole. Stymied.

It’s now under the deck eating seeds I dropped from the pail.

All hail! I got him this time!

***

I know, I need to put more beer cans on each line. (Later, after Happy Hour).

And bigger wooden circles.

Maybe some barbed wire.

Another Morning Smile right here.

.

No comments: