Sunday, October 11, 2015

Are Bats Making a Comeback?


Keep 'Em Comin'

"Two bathouses can be made from one eight-foot-long board"

At my last birdhouse sale, spread over two afternoons, I sold two bathouses the first day - all I had prepared - and received an order for one more. So I ran right home at day's end and made two more for the second afternoon. They both sold as well.

I was happy to hear about peoples' interest in bats and that folks were seeing more in their neighbourhoods at night (I am as well in Old South London), after we had noticed declines in the bat population over the last few years.

 "I cut grooves one inch apart on the surface of the backer board"

 "A scroll saw does a fine, quick job"

"I will paint the wee critters a bright colour asap"

But making a comeback? I sure hope so. Even though there is an 'ick' factor associated w the wee critters from the human point of view, there is a more important 'yikes' factor - as far as bugs are concerned.


Link to more info re birdhouses and other woodwork at Gord's other website, The Workshop by G. Harrison

Photos GH

No comments: