Monday, July 12, 2010

It’s raining, it’s pouring, this old man is snoring

Just after I stepped out of the shower Gary called.

I was expecting his call and hoping to hear certain words.

(Gary is the organizer and driver for our Mon. - Wed. camping and kayaking trip. So that the sound of embarrassment wouldn’t be heard in my voice while we talked I quickly grabbed a towel).

“Gord, have you looked outside yet?” he said.

“No, but I heard a lot of thunder at about 7 o’clock. What’s the word?”

(Come on, come on. Gimme the word. The right word.)


["Oh, I love the water, but...": photo GH]

“I think we need to postpone...”

That was the word. I was so tired when I woke up this morning.

Why?

Halifax trip. Fenelon Falls trip. Too much sun last week. Too much food and drink. Motorcycling yesterday. In the sun all day. Didn’t sleep well last night because I forgot to put Noxzema on by burn.

“...postpone the trip until later. You okay with that?”

“Stink. That’s too bad. (I know. I’m a wiener.) You did a lot of planning for us. What are your thoughts about going later?”

“Well, I’ll check the weather and get back to you,” Gary said.

(I’ll be sleeping, I said to myself. Send me a letter).

“Okay. Too bad we have to put things off. (I know. Wienerville. I should be the mayor.) I look forward to the call.”

Really, if it wasn’t for the coffee I made before stepping into the shower, I’d be dead to the world right now. And snoring a happy tune.

***

So, are you still sleeping?

I envy you.

.

No comments: