Sunday, July 4, 2010

Questions About a New Age of Austerity: E.g., how long should it last?

I have a few questions related to an age of austerity.

For example, should we enter one asap?

Should we hold off for ten more years?

Are there benefits to austerity?

Are there more benefits to austerity and supporting a smaller economy than in attempting to drive or stimulate the economy to former levels?

Should we plan for gradual austerity measures as carefully as we planned for gradual growth in the last 40 years?

Are we already living in an age of austerity and not know it?

And if we are in a new age, how long should it last?

As long as it takes to get into the habit of maintaining a healthy environment?

(Sounds good, but what is a healthy environment? It’s been so long since we’ve talked about that. Sorry, I digress).


["We have much to learn. The spider only eats what it catches.": photo GH]

Personally, I think we should enter an age of austerity.

(If it’s the first time our country (Canada) and our most significant neighbour (the USA) has ever done so since I was born in 1949 then I guess we could call it The New Age of Austerity. Please note the capitals for emphasis. I don’t usually splash them around).

Why?

An age of austerity would fit so well with one of my important philosophies of life, i.e., live small and prosper.

It would fit so well with something I’ve repeated here over 8,000,000 times, i.e., reduce spending, pay down debt, save money for the tough times ahead.

While we reduce spending, etc., the environment will likely grow healthier. (A win-win situation. Such a lovely thought).

Do I have more to say?

Does a hobby horse have a wooden neck?

***

Is austerity on your mind?

I can’t get it off mine. Stay tuned.

.

No comments: