Sunday, July 11, 2010

Without consistency and good spelling I am nothing

I don’t know how you find summer (I just step onto my porch every June 21st... and there it is!) but long trips and summer vacations get me out of my routine.

Though the two-week long trip to Halifax was one I’ll never forget (It will likely lead to a best-selling book, I’ll become famous, and Brad Pitt will want the title role in a future block-buster. And who could blame him?) my writing projects for the last several weeks have been all over the map.


["The setting for a week of much fun in the sun": photos GH]

Last week I spent my days enjoying the sun and one torrential rain storm in Fenelon Falls with my sons and their wives and energetic children.

My posts ‘from far away’ were all over the map too. I even included one about mud birdhouses from a week-ago trip to Port Burwell.


["One rain-day meant no fat cheeseburgers for supper. That hurt."]

Sorry, but my brain was mushy and Ollie slept and played in the computer room and my sons were jumping off the dock and, as I said earlier, summer vacations mess up my routine.

Really, without consistency and good spelling I am nothing.

However, I don’t look as pale as a package of supermarket chicken wings anymore because my tan is coming along well.


["The rain quieted the neighbour's boat"]

So well in fact, I’ve had to apply several layers of Noxzema just to get some sleep.

(Don’t you love the smell of that stuff, and how it takes the sting out of your skin, or at least helps you fall asleep long enough to forget it’s summer - when the sun is really hot - and you over-did outdoorsy things just a tad?)

Now that I’m home from Fenelon Falls, I sure will be happy to get back to a consistent routine in about four more days, i.e., after a kayaking/camping trip in the Sauble River area (Mon. - Wed. a.m.) and Wednesday’s hockey game.

Until then, pass the Noxzema and be ready for anything.

***

How do other world-famous writer’s do it?

Just cancel summer trips and vacations altogether?

Have a body-double to go jump in the lake?

.

No comments: