Sunday, December 1, 2013

Bird Watching: "chickadees seem so polite"

Chickadees don't seem to travel in packs, bevies or flashes. They visit my feeder alone or in pairs. But they don't stay long. Though very social (with people: one once sat on the back of my lawn chair while I conversed with a neighbour) they appear jittery at the feeder. They scoot about, drop in, drop out, all very quickly and expertly. Maybe other birds, like the bigger blue jay, make them nervous. Or maybe they are just very polite.

["Look at this spread! So close to my roost too!"]

["I'll leave some for others now, but I'll be back"]

["Look at the banquet. And all for me!!"]

Whatever the case, they are always a welcome sight in my yard, and I am confident they will nest in one of my many birdhouses next spring as they've done in the past.

Photos by GH

FYI  - I once spotted seven wee chickadee eggs inside a unit (within a cedar triplex in my yard) when I went to inspect the nest. Very cool.

***

Have you had visits with chickadees, i.e., to a birdhouse or feeder?

Please click here to view Bird Watching: "flash of juncos"

No comments: