Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Bird Watching: "you eat, I'll watch"

My last 'bird watching' post included a photo of a pair of cardinals, like this one. (Same cardinals, different feeder?)

I've had a larger red feeder in action for over a week and it has been a popular spot for local birds to feed. They seem to like the grain mix I toss into Big Red Cranberry Feeder (so named for my older sister, who arrived in PEI this week to take up residence in her new home, Cranberry Cottage): The mix - one bag of mixed grains with a bag of sunflower seeds.

["Mr. C., I'll let you eat while I keep watch," says Mrs. C.]

Squirrels visit my backyard everyday, so they obviously like the mix as well, i.e., the small handful I sprinkle on a bench under the blue spruce.

I like the mix too. It draws birds to within 8 feet of my study window.

["Mr. C.! When is it my turn?"]

Photos by GH

***

Do cardinals travel in pairs to your feeder?

Please click here to read Bird Watching: birds in flight, a nice prize"

2 comments:

Lannie Good said...

Great name for a bird feeder..can't wait to hang up my bird houses in the spring..wrote a new blog today plus did a bit of shoveling..got some wet snow, trees look lovely..getting phone connection Thursday and have a phone number now..picked up mail for the first time with new mail key..love those cardinals..heard on the news about Kelloggs..bummer love to you and Pat..older sister

G. Harrison said...

We are slowing down birdhouse production but I'll make a few more feeders, one large one w cranberry paint for your lovely PEI property. Free delivery this summer or next! send phone number when available and though it will likely break the bank I'll call... but only once a year!

: )