Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Photo Files: "(I) send the rest home to Ma"

Lunchtime Atop a Skyscraper 1932


In the 1930s some buildings in Manhattan grew at the rate of five stories per day. Ironworkers worked at a feverish pace, lost comrades on a regular basis (high climbers were not tied to the steel frame) but were paid relatively good money for their work.

Even photographers took their chances when snapping pictures hundreds of feet above the ground.

In the documentary film The Farewell, concerning a round-the-world-trip by Graf Zeppelin LZ 127 (1929), a photographer is seen walking along the beams carrying his camera and tripod. When he comes to a T-intersection he deftly sets up his tripod, steps around it, lights up a smoke and scans the horizon for the zeppelin's arrival. While waiting he likely chats with a few ironworkers.

I imagine, three years later, the following conversation occurs:

["This man still has family in Ireland.
His name is Sonny Glynn"]

   Photographer: I don't imagine I can ask you boys
   to look this way, and smile.

   Sonny: You'd be sure right about that, Sir.

   Photog: I hear you're paid a pretty fair wage
   for iron work.

   Sonny: It's fair but not worth your life.

   Photog: And what do you do with your money?

   Sonny: I keep myself alive here, and
   send the rest home to Ma.  

FYI Sonny Glynn is my favourite character atop the beam. He reminds me of someone in my family I've only seen in photos.

Photos by GH

***

Please click here to read Photo Files: so don't look down

No comments: