Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Avocado Pit 8

Today's the Day!

"So, according to 'inhabitat.com', it's time for a haircut"

According to a colourful website about 'how to grow an avocado', "When the stem is 6-7 inches long, cut it back to about 3 inches, this will encourage new growth. When it hits 6-7 inches again, pot it up in a rich humus soil."

So, when my grandson Oliver visits today after school, we will do the deed.

 "I'll take a measurement"

"The shoot is between 7 - 8 inches tall"

I wonder if he'll ask his favourite question?

Link to Avocado Pit 7

Photos GH

2 comments:

Lannie Good said...

My avocado pit looks exactly like yours only I planted it in a pot and didn't give it a haircut..It has a second stem about 2 inches high also and look like some side shoots may come out into leaves..I grew one in B.B. with great success and also a wonderful, shiny leaved lemon seed plant..fun to grew something new and interesting..we will compare how each one goes along okay? Sis in PEI

G. Harrison said...

I snipped my avocado just 30 min. ago, then found your comment. Hopefully, the shoot will recover and send out lots of extra branches. I grew one in the early '70s, along with lemons as well, and enjoyed the wee hobby. But, I likely got busy w marking tests and lost interest. Now that I'm retired and still just as busy, I realize I can do a wee hobby on the side if it's not too demanding. I plan to start 12 chestnut trees this winter, under lights in the basement. I have the nuts, pots and soil, but I need to set up a table in a small workroom and it needs to be tidied up first, so I may not get started unitl spring cleaning is done!