Saturday, May 22, 2010

Because of the HST, families will need a new revenue stream

Because we now know in Ontario that the ‘soon to be imposed’ Homogenized Sales Tax will cost families more at the grocery store (and in many other places, collectively known as ‘the wallet’) in the very near future, it has dawned on me that families will require a new revenue stream - asap - in order to keep their heads above water.

(Is this a good time to remind people that Canada’s national debt is approaching $600 billion, or record levels?)


["Maybe if I soak my feet an idea will come to me"]

Let me think. Let me think. All I need is one sure fire idea to help families make more money.

(I forgot to mention, Ontario’s debt is approaching $200 billion, and that’s a record too.)

Surely, there’s gotta be a way for dad or mom or both to bring home more bacon.


["Finding more money ain't small potatoes"]

(It slipped my mind. 92% of Canada’s defined benefit pension plans now have a combined shortfall of $350 billion as of 2008 - gosh, another record - and the shortfall continues to grow. Good luck when you retire, eh.)

Bacon is so important. All I need is one good idea...

(Hydro bills reportedly were supposed to go up 8% starting May 1st. I wonder why that increase was scheduled?)

You know what? I think I’ve got a good idea.

(Did you hear? Canadians now hold a record amount of household debt, i.e., $1.41 trillion dollars, or $145 of debt for every $100 of income. How many records is that? Sorry, I digress.)

All I can think of, besides cooking up a thick slice or two of Canadian back bacon right now, is the following:

Until a new revenue stream is created for families, they should just hang onto more of their current revenue stream, i.e., their pay cheques, pensions, RRIFs, annuities, lottery winnings, etc., by simply reducing their overall spending.

With the extra money they’re hanging onto (while pretending it’s a revenue stream, which shouldn’t be hard, because it really is one), they should pay down debt and get out from under interest payments.


["Don't kill the pig. Fill the pig."]

Then, with the even larger revenue stream, i.e., including the 'former' monthly payment and money that used to fly up the chimney as interest, they should save money as if their life depended on it.

While they’re doing all that, I’ll try to come up with another, even better revenue stream, that will make all money problems just disappear.

***

And if you have some nifty ideas, let me know.

.

No comments: