Friday, May 7, 2010

Trees: Did you use ‘Adventure Awaits,’ an old school reader?

Though it was a bit cool and wet this morning I stopped for a moment on my way to The Red Roaster to enjoy the appearance of a soft-needled pine tree on my front lawn.

The tree seemed perfect to my eyes, nose and touch, and it reminded me of a poem from a classroom reader I used back in the 1970s and ‘80s as a teacher.

TREES

by: Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918)

I think that I shall never see

A poem lovely as a tree. 
 


A tree whose hungry mouth is prest 

Against the earth's sweet flowing breast; 
  



A tree that looks at God all day, 

And lifts her leafy arms to pray; 
 


A tree that may in Summer wear 

A nest of robins in her hair; 
  


Upon whose bosom snow has lain; 

Who intimately lives with rain. 
  


Poems are made by fools like me, 

But only God can make a tree.

***

Do you remember Trees?

I’m grateful the poem, though it may be 100 years old or more, is still alive and well.

.

No comments: