Thursday, May 27, 2010

It Strikes Me Funny: Well, it didn’t really strike me all that funny

(Yeah, I get that sometimes).

My most recent column explores the many reasons why this may be the worst time in all of human history for a government to impose a new tax - the HST.

Now, I didn’t say I was against it. I just said I can understand why people might march to Parliament Hill or Queen’s Park to express their displeasure.

Come on, after all, the smart meters are coming.

I mentioned 10 expenses, costs , debts that are going north and hitting our wallets. Then I said the following:

With Canada's household debt at $1.41 trillion, per capita debt-to-income-ratio rising faster than you can buy a big screen TV with all the bells and whistles, and alarm bells ringing among policy makers and at the Bank of Canada, how could wiggle room not feel like it's getting tighter?


["Plus, I don't always strike me funny either"]

Plus (and there's always a plus during the worst time in all of human history), I recently read the following: Storm clouds are gathering over the global economy with a string of events including sovereign debt woes in Europe, the Louisiana oil spill and the disruption from the Icelandic volcano eruption darkening prospects for growth, economists say. (May 7 issue of The London Free Press)

My gosh, and this doesn't strike me funny, are we just one unforeseen event away from having no wiggle room left whatsoever?


Now, I didn’t mention any event on the horizon that might take the wind out of our collective sails, but if anything stupid should happen at the Orphan Basin drilling site (about 2 miles under water, near Newfoundland), I bet that would qualify.

.

No comments: