Sunday, May 2, 2010

Zoom w a View: Up close, I like the details. And Happy Hour

A million times I’ve been told, “Don’t sweat the small stuff.”

In some areas of life, I admit, that’s true.


["A small angle on side porch roof - helps shed the rain"]

Why worry about the $5 I put through the wash while an auditor is checking out my financial records with a magnifying glass?

Why worry about the size of the magnifying glass when the prison terms are... wha? That long?


["A small table for two, with a bit of shade": photos GAH]

However, when it comes to birdhouse building, it’s the small stuff that catches the eye, and birds have small eyes.

That’s why my motto in the shop is ‘don’t throw anything out.’


["Will the small side porch attract a visitor? Will the bottle cap?"]

(The longer version is ‘don’t throw anything out unless I’ve tacked it to a few birdhouses and have come to the conclusion that it doesn’t have a future as a piece of trim, then I can throw it in the garbage box under my workbench or add it to a fire. Is it Happy Hour yet?’)

Some small stuff is perfect.


["Will a chickadee like the small sticks from Pt. Bruce's beach?"]

It’s about finding a balance. Like life.

Is it Happy Hour yet?

.

No comments: