Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Promise to Fulfill Pt. 6: The navy was always in his thoughts

Seven years ago I goofed up while preparing a birdhouse for my father’s remains. (Link to Part 5)

(And maybe one or two times before that, but who’s counting?)

However, because of my ‘goof up’ my father will get his wish - to be buried at sea - if all goes according to my current plan.


The plan?

Some sunny afternoon in May, I’ll place the rest of his ashes inside a small wooden boat with a nifty paint job, and in June, I’ll carry the boat to Halifax, the city in which he first took part in training for the rigours associated with World War ll.

I say ‘the rest of his ashes’ because about half of his remains rest beside his wife, my mother, at a Norwich gravesite.

(Since the day of my goof in 2003, the final half of my dad’s ashes have been safely stored in my basement workshop, and for most of those years inside my wife’s large canning pot. I personally think my dad would laugh about such lodgings. They are a step up from many of his stations in life.)

While searching for photographs of the birdhouse I made for him in 2003, I came across two that reveal his love and respect for the Merchant Marine, the other men who were a part of it and the Canadian Legion.

The first is from a rare Harrison family reunion. He is seen standing with his 6 siblings and wearing a blue blazer with a beloved emblem attached.


The second is one of the last photographs taken of my dad in my house, and he’s accompanied by a son, a grandson and (at the time, before Ollie) his only great-grandson, and he’s wearing a well-used gray cardigan with a similar patch sewn onto the lower pocket.


It won’t be long before I pack up my bike and head for halifax.


Several arrangement still need to be made but, if all goes well, he should set sail for Scotland (another center for his naval training in the 1940s) less than a month from today.

Am I excited?

Thanks for asking. That’s a very timely question.

***

A Promise to Fulfill - Please click here to read Part 1.

Please click here to link to Part 7.

.

2 comments:

Sonny Drysdale said...

You're a good son, Gordo.

Despite this crazy idea.

Darn fool kids.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Sonny,

Thanks for the encouragement.

I think I'm a Boy Scout, through and through.

Though 4,300 kms. could do me in, I'll let you know how I'm doing along the way.

'Darn fool' may be spot on.

GH