Saturday, May 1, 2010

Working and dreaming my way toward a purple martin house

I think working alone in my shop with rescued lumber, a trusty hammer and bag of nails helps keep me grounded.

I mean, I can’t be ranting about the state of our economy and environment and our dismal attitude toward various levels of government every second of the day.


["In my shop, I've never been grumpy. Just dusty.": photos GAH]

Okay, maybe I could, but I’d get all grumpy.

Building a birdhouse frees my mind and allows me to think about how beautiful, beneficial and practical birds are. I think about flying in the air (that’s where my motorcycle fits in, I bet) and feeling the breeze blow through what’s left of my hair.


["Two more need trim - then I can move on"]

Selling a birdhouse puts a small amount of gas in the tank too (there is such a thing as a free lunch!), and makes the pile of lumber on my back deck a wee bit smaller.


["Already sold - I feel like my small motorcycling habit is free"]

While hammering the last nail into the last of a batch of birdhouses (e.g., recently - six duplexes with a side porch for small parties), my mind travels forward to my next project - a four-story purple martin house.


["Spot one, build one, sell one, then look for more. Not bad"]

Yes, I’d like to build something like the one I spotted during a motorcycle ride three weeks ago, and during the building process I’ll feel as if my feet are on the ground while my mind is in the air.

Sweet. Where’s my hammer?

.

No comments: