Monday, May 3, 2010

Due to deficits, I wish I had a friend named Rosy

I’d call Rosy whenever I felt blue.

“Rosy, can you come over?” I’d say.

“Been watching the news?” he’d ask.

“Yeah. I try to resist. But I just can’t. Get over here, Rosy.”

However, today Rosy could stay home and get yard work done because I just read the following headline out of Ottawa:

Deficit may be smaller than projected (London Free Press)

I also read something rosy.

I.e., “The Finance Department routinely cautions that timing factors can at times give a false impression of the state of the government’s finances, and the monthly data is subject to revision, but the trend over the past few months has been generally rosier for the government.”

See that? ‘Rosier.’

And why?

“The federal government may be headed for a smaller deficit than it feared in the past year, thanks to a quicker and stronger than expected recovery in economic activity.”


Yes, we have a massive deficit this year ($40.5 billion), but apparently there is a bright side.

“Ottawa reported Friday that its deficit increased by a modest $902 million in February, compared to a $800-million surplus a year ago.”

I mean, if we don’t feel like winners right now, what’s wrong with us?

Feeling rosy about the deficit has never been so easy, eh?

.

No comments: