Thursday, May 20, 2010

It Strikes Me Funny: Column re Bobby Hull hits the streets today

My story about almost knocking off Bobby Hull’s head with a fastball is now in the hands of readers from as far away as the edge of town.

No one can dispute the facts unless they were there, but I’m sure a few readers will wonder if I’m making up the part about hitting my second pitch so hard it almost cleared Mr. Haskell’s fence (and had it happened, almost being declared a national hero).

To answer the second point first: Yes, we did declare people heroes for the flimsiest of reasons in Norwich in the 1960s. Remember Chubby Checker?


["Ken? Who owned that house and fence?":photo GH]

But about Mr. Haskell’s fence. I think I’m wrong.

I think Mr. Haskell was the town vet and lived on Stover St., about 5 blocks away from home plate. The fence I almost cleared belonged to some other guy, last name starts with an H.

Maybe Ken Fidlin, sports columnist for Sun Media, can clear it up. He was pitching for us that night and was probably in awe of Bobby Hull, the hit that almost took off his melon and the hit that almost cleared old-what’s-his-names fence.

Ken? You still out there?

.

2 comments:

Sonny Drysdale said...

Always nice to have the prnted copy. It's a keeper.

G. Harrison said...

Thanks for tuning in to my (near, very near) heroics. Now I have trouble swatting flies.

Cheers,

GH