Thursday, July 25, 2013

cross it off the list 2

Better late than never.

["I tried to get the first step perfect. But what's perfect?"]

Don F. deserves his boat. He asked for it. I'm going to make it for him. But, without a plan or any experience in boat building ('putting it off' could be expected) I just had to go by feel. I toyed with several pieces of lumber for the first stage, i.e., the hull, then I played some more.

["Yes, I could make a cabin from this block of wood"]

Lo and behold, with the help of motivation and energy, I assembled all the pieces of a boat that looked like, in my opinion, it belonged to another era. Then I applied an old, tried and true coating of oil, i.e., linseed oil, with a titch of maple stain to warm it up.

["I think this baby could actually sail the seven seas"]

It's a boat alright. Solid and without modern amenities, like batteries, sump pump and GPS system. And it's done, crossed off the list. I think Don F. will feel it fits the bill. But do I deliver it in person, apology included - for it being very late - or do I deliver it to my friend's porch under the cover of darkness?


Photos by GH

***

Please click here to read cross it off the list 1

No comments: