Saturday, November 1, 2008

54 Days: Remembrance, Buy Nothing and No Clothes Day should be celebrated

Hallowe’en is over. Cross it off your calendar and turn the page to a new month.

Today the retail and commerce sectors will pump a fist in the air, begin reminding us there’s only 54 shopping days ‘til Christmas (and continue to do so ‘til they’re blue in the face) and plaster their ads and stores with the colour red.

I think I’ll ignore the festival atmosphere in local stores for the time being and add one or two more important things to my November calendar:

Nov. 11 - Remembrance Day

Nov. 29 - Buy Nothing Day

If there are other days I should celebrate that I’ve forgotten please let me know.

I think I’ll also circle the 15th.

On that day I’ll decide how long I’ll go without buying any new article of clothing.


["No more clothes! No more clothes!": Courtesy photo link]

My sock and underwear drawers are full.

I have more T-shirts than the average human bean because I used to run road races. (Every entry fee was rewarded with a race shirt).

Jeans? Good.

Jackets, sweaters, mitts, toboggans i.e. toques, scarves, boots, shoes? Good.

I may be good for four to five years.

Will you join me and circle the 15th?

.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good to me! I decided last year to not participate in the christmas shopping burnout by not celebrating christmas. This may not work for everyone but I found it truly liberating to go on with my "normal" life while everyone else rushed around frantically. It was the best non-christmas ever! And I will continue this tradition :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Clevermonkey!

You're one of my influences on cutting down on Christmas this year. So far I'm planning on just couple of presents for the kids, getting out a jigzaw puzzle I've had for 10 years for our family to do for the few days off work, not-a-huge-meal and quiet time at home just messing about. I don't think we can get away with avoiding it in just one year so I plan to phase it out.

One thing that's really helping was cutting off cable tv 8 months ago (we just rent DVDS if we want a quiet night in) and putting a sign on our mailbox requesting no junk mail or flyers.

Is "planning" to phase it out just as bad as "planning" for it though ...?

bobbie said...

Sounds great! Why not? I'm in.

G. Harrison said...

hi clevermonkey. the process toward a smaller Christmas is several years long at our house and most family members are happy to be on board - and off the frantic treadmill.

re your liberating decision: did others in your family follow suit? express concerns?

gord h.

G. Harrison said...

hi jesse,

cutting off the cable would be a tough one. how would I keep up with life on Coronation St.?

Ollie's mom got me hooked and what with Jack and Vera's move to Blackpool I have to stay tuned.

i believe, however, i would easily survive with CBC radio.

cheers,

gord h

Anonymous said...

My family is used to my unconventional attitude... i'm crazy aunt cathy :)

When I realized that I am an atheist it seemed hypocritical to me to celebrate christmas. But I accept that everyone has their own beliefs, needs and priorities. It seems many people would like to simplify christmas but are afraid to approach it even though their families may be like-minded.

We cut off the cable too. We wonder how we ever got anything done when we had tv since we easily fill the excess time. It's so nice just to sit down with a tea and talk to each other, read our books or listen to the cbc!

G. Harrison said...

there is much truth in clevermonkey's comment below:

"It seems many people would like to simplify christmas but are afraid to approach it even though their families may be like-minded."

fortunately, many in my family love to talk about everything. even the heavy spenders are slowly making changes.

gord h.