Sunday, November 23, 2008

No Clothing Day Part 3

A recent email from a reader struck a chord.

Renee L. said after reading in a fashion magazine that a woman wasn’t going to buy new clothing for a full year (I expressed a similar plan in the Nov. 19 issue of The Londoner) she decided to change her own spending habits.

(She confessed to me she was spending about 50% of some pay cheques on clothing. And more. Crikee!)

She also said the following: “I decided that Labour Day 2008 would be my day for reinvention. I thought the adjustment would be hard, but I learned that I can restyle things I've worn a million times with simple change. I am allowing myself to buy vintage items; e.g., mostly scarves and jewelry to give new life to clothing I've had for a while, but it doesn't come with the guilt of buying something made in a sweatshop with a 300% markup.”

“I've begun to repair things instead of replacing them.”

“It’s freeing. I have more time to relax and just enjoy the important things in life.”

Well done, Renee.

As of last count, there are 3,897 things more important than spending hours shopping in the mall in a vain effort to keep up with the ever-changing face of fashion.

And the list keeps growing.

***

If you have a word or two for or about Renee or a similar experience drop it off here. I’ll give her the link to the posts about her email to me.

I’ve also used her email as an important part of next week’s Pulitzer Prize winning column.

(If I do win the Pulitzer will I have to share it? Crikee!)

.

2 comments:

Mystic Thistle said...

Yipee! Just today, I refashioned my two old coats with new buttons made from fabric from an old dance dress! One of the coats I've had for 15 years! It is a vintage coat and I love it too much to let it go. Next I will fix the holes in the sleeves. This is a wonderful idea. I love what you and Renee are doing. I will remake some more old into new as much as I can. It is much more rewarding than shopping.

G. Harrison said...

Renee's email was a very pleasant surprise, not just that it was from a 24-year old but that she was alos repairing items like shoes and old dresses.

very inspiring what folks can do if they try.

cheers christy,

gord h..