Saturday, November 15, 2008

One week’s worth of small pleasures Part 6

“Harrison has the puck, he’s flying down the right side, he dekes around the defenseman, stares down the goalie, and winds up, he shoots... he misses way wide. Way way wide.”

What was I thinking?

The top left hand corner of the net was wide open.

Oh well. There’s always next week.

For example: Next Wednesday I’ll strap on my skates with a bunch of guys my age and older, block a shot or two, fire nice passes to my wingers, find open spots and shoot the puck wide eight times out of ten - as usual.

Then on Friday I’ll play another game with younger men and try hard not to look like one of the two oldest players on the ice.


[Still in the game: photo by GAH]

I’d rather participate than watch from the sidelines and I think that feeling is related to cutting my own hair (see Part 3), making large batches of porridge and brewing my own beer. [link to M magazine]

So, until I can’t lift my hockey bag and throw it into the car I’ll continue to enjoy my favourite sport with other kids from the neighbourhood.

***

Still in the game? Which one?

.

2 comments:

Mystic Thistle said...

I'm a former ballet dancer, but I still can be found entertaining my children by dancing in the living room and doing barre excersizes to calm my anxiety. Dancing for my children was the best thing that came out of all those dancing years. I'm enjoying your blog. I'm glad you are still in the game!

G. Harrison said...

hi christy,

'dancing for my children' is the best phrase I've heard all day. absolutely lovely.

keep up the good work!

gord h.